Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

International Encounter on the Streets of Indy

I love working downtown. While walking to my car after work today I merged with a large group coming out of one of the hotels. I heard bits of foreign languages so then I couldn't help but pay attention. The two men walking next to me were speaking Italian! I almost interrupted them to find out where they were from, but then I was at my parking garage and we parted ways. For about one minute I was transported to Europe--there was a mix of languages, some people speaking accented English, some Americans inquiring about culture and travel--and I was so very intrigued. Why was this group in Indianapolis? Where were they all from? Oh, how I wanted to know how I could have been one of their hosts and joined them for dinner!

Will I get live overseas again? Will I get to speak French or Italian (or something new) on a daily basis? Just this afternoon I told some women at work about my upcoming trip to Kenya and we talked about travel. This led me to think again that I would love to have job that allowed me travel internationally. Yes, that would be amazing...

I had mixed emotions as I drove home today. I felt a longing for something more--I'm not sure if that "something" is adventure or passion or what--but it's like my heart was reminded of the energy and contentment that I experienced while living overseas. I don't get that so much living in Indianapolis. At the same time, I am happy here. I do feel quite content, which I am so thankful for. God has blessed me so much--with friends, family, a faith community, a good job, nice coworkers, and...the list could go on. Perhaps my brief international encounter this afternoon is a reminder that Indianapolis is connected with people from all over the world! I might just need to go back to that French language club I visited a few times last year...Oui, c'est une bonne idée!

No comments:

Post a Comment