Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Where I'm From



I am from tall Maple trees changing colors in the fall;
From hand-tied rope hammocks and grass blade whistles

I am from multiple moves across state lines
And from the Midwest where I call home

I am from homemade sweet pickles and cheesy garlic grits;
From long family roadtrips, counting cows, and license plate games

I am from parents who fell in love and got engaged two weeks after meeting
And who fell in love with Jesus some ten years later

I am from traditions and heirlooms and family trees;
From farmers in the South and a doctor on the Mayflower

I am from tea and coffee and fluffy pancake breakfasts,
From omelets and biscuits, even sometimes for dinner

I am from tent camping and bonfires and roasting marshmallows over amber coals;
From stargazing and canoeing in an ancient aluminum canoe

I am from scientists and teachers and musicians and artists and farmers;
From neighbors and friends and jacks-of-all-trades

I am from shoulders to cry on and words that encourage;
From parents who love me and support me in all things

I am from black and white movies and British miniseries;
From family game nights and jokes that are punny

I am from backyard parties for everyone we love;
From steaks on the grill and vegetables from the garden

I am from neighborhood sports leagues and summer swim meets;
From fireworks and sparklers and bikes decorated with streamers

I am from beach houses and sandcastles and sunburns in summer;
From pounds of steamed shrimp and catching crabs in the surf

I am from laughter and tears and learning and growing;
From love and joy and following Jesus together



::

So tell me...from where do you come?

::

This poem was inspired by a writing prompt on theHighCalling.org.

2 comments:

  1. Katie, this is absolutely beautiful! I love it so much! I might write one of these at some point too - so poetic, it paints a beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement. I would love to read yours if you write a similar poem!

      Delete