Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

trust & wait

Please join me for a short English language lesson...

trust
[truhst]
–verb (used with object)
1. to have trust or confidence in; rely or depend on.
2. to believe.
3. to expect confidently; hope (usually followed by a clause or infinitive as object): trusting the job would soon be finished; trusting to find oil on the land.

wait
[weyt]
–verb (used without object)
1. to remain inactive or in a state of repose, as until something expected happens (often followed by for, till, or until ): to wait for the bus to arrive.

I don't usually find themes or single words to describe a season in my life. However, this past weekend God was making it really clear to me that 1) I need to TRUST Him more (and with everything) and 2) I need to wait. Wait for what? Well, I think I'm supposed to trust God and see. Funny how that works.

I've always loved words and their meanings. I had a little set of reference books when I was young. They were black faux-leather with gold lettering on the covers. There were several books, but the dictionary and the thesaurus were my favorites. I would use them when writing papers for school (before I had to type everything in Word). Sometimes I would just read them. Nerdy, I know. My love for words is one of the reasons I get excited about Study Bibles and concordances and notes and cross-referencing. When I learn more about what a single word means in the Bible, in its context and compared with other references, it helps me gain a better understanding of the whole picture--and it gives that word power and substance to teach and change me.

These two words--trust and wait--keep coming up in my personal Bible study, Sunday morning sermons, conversations, prayer with friends, and in my email devotionals. So, I looked them up. And I love these definitions! They fit so well with applying the two verbs to my relationship with the Lord. I want to have more confidence in God, to rely and depend on Him. He is trustworthy! And while I'm not "trusting to find oil in the land," I am trusting to find God moving in my life and providing for my needs and guiding my steps. I believe in the Lord; I trust Him.

Do I trust Him enough to wait? And wait patiently? I find the definition for "wait" more challenging than "trust." To wait is "to remain inactive or in a state of repose, as until something expected happens." Hmm... I do not believe that waiting on God should be inactive. While it may be tempting to sit and do nothing until I get some big, message in the sky, type of direction, I truly believe that God has purpose in my present position--and I need to make the most of it. I must keep serving Him and seeking to glorify Him in my now. No, waiting on God is not "inactive." So, I looked up repose and I found these words: being at rest, peace, tranquility, calm. Yes, that is the kind of waiting I want to do. Especially if I am waiting for "something expected" as the definition says. Or perhaps, it will be unexpected? I do expect that whatever it is that my Lord has for me will be good--the Romans 8:28 kind of good. The making me more like Jesus kind of good. The definitely worth waiting for kind of good.

And so I pray that I would TRUST Jesus more each day. With open hands and an open heart, I trust. And I pray that I would WAIT on Jesus with peace and tranquility in my heart; expecting Him to lead me and direct me when I need it; knowing that it is for my good and for His glory.

Will you trust and wait with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment