Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Welcome, Summer

I’m glad you’re here!

This past weekend really felt like summer! For me this meant a mix of being outside, visiting graduation open houses, buying new SPF 30 sunblock, and eating anything cooked on a grill. Combine that with 90 degree weather and a power-outing thunderstorm and it’s definitely June in Indiana. Even though my fun weekend made it hard go back to work this morning, I am very excited for the months to come. Much of that excitement is due to my current housing location. I’ve been living in Broad Ripple since January and now I finally get to enjoy all that the area has to offer. My condo is right on the Monon—and by “right on” I mean you walk just 20 steps from the front door and you’re on the trail! I love it! One of my goals this summer is to take full advantage of my proximity to the Monon and Broad Ripple. Indianapolis has so many locally owned restaurants and shops, especially in BR, and I want to visit them all! This past weekend got things off to a great start.

Zest!
Much of my super hot Saturday was spent with my dear friend, Rose. She’s currently living in Kenya (I visited her there in March), but is home for a brief visit. She worked a shift at the hospital Friday night, which meant that she was free to hang out with me on Saturday! After some pool time in the morning (another reason I love where I live!), we hit the Monon trail for a leisurely 1.8 mile walk to Zest! Exciting Food Creations. Zest! was celebrating their 5 year anniversary, so we took advantage of their delicious Crème Brûlée French Toast on special for only $5. Rose and I split the French toast (it’s super yummy, but very rich) and it made the perfect dessert for our “breakfast for lunch” meal. We had the Stuffed Tortilla and a side of seasonal berries for a well rounded and filling meal. The atmosphere was fun and friendly, the service was great, and I loved the neighborhood vibe. The Reese Art Fair was taking place along 54th Street and right outside of Zest! The street fair was just one more sign that summer had arrived! We browsed for a bit after lunch, but the hot sun quickly drove us to the shade of the Monon and we made our way back home. This was only my second visit to Zest! and I will definitely be going back.
 
BRICS
I was delighted that Sunday evening included another stroll around BR! After an overcast and humid afternoon, the evening turned out quite nice—perfect weather for shorts and flip flops…and ice cream! My friend Jen met me at my condo and we took to the trail. This time, however, we stayed around Broad Ripple Ave and just made a big loop. Minutes into our walk, we passed by BRICS (Broad Ripple Ice Cream Station). The deck was full of people enjoying what looked like really good ice cream. We kept walking, enjoying the sights and sounds of BR, which was quite busy for being a Sunday evening. After making our loop, Jen and I were on the same page: we needed to see what the crowd at BRICS was all about. Stepping inside, we were met with the always welcoming smell of freshly baked waffle cones! The place was packed! We took a number and peered through the glass at the large selection of flavors while waiting our turn to order. How would we ever decide? I overheard someone ask for a “split scoop” and my flavor dilemma was solved! On a sugar cone, I opted for Chocolate Choo Choo (extra dark chocolate ice cream with chocolate fudge chunks) and Broad Ripple Blackberry (blackberry ice cream with blackberry swirl). It was pretty much the perfect combo. My “one scoop” of ice cream was enormous! And at $3.10 I felt like I got my money’s worth. Jen and I enjoyed the hospitality of a couple on the deck who invited us to share their table (it was crowded!). We chatted about our jobs, traveling, Butler, living in Indy, AA, and Jesus. It was quite a conversation. The combination of delicious ice cream, sitting outside, and meeting new people made for a perfect end to the day and the weekend. At 0.3 miles from my condo, BRICS might become a hazard to my health (in the most scrumptious way possible). I’ll just have walk a mile or two each time I stop for ice cream!

BRICS on the Monon. (Photo courtesy of brics.)
 

I hope you are enjoying Summer wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment